The Calgary Roughnecks traded their 5th overall pick to Rochester in exchange for right-handed forward Shawn Evans and a 1st round draft pick.
The 2011 National Lacrosse League Entry Draft was held on Wednesday in Toronto and The Calgary Roughnecks made a splash by sending their fifth overall pick to the Rochester Knighthawks in exchange for right-handed forward Shawn Evans and a first round selection in the 2012 Entry Draft.
Evans had played his entire six-season career with Rochester, scoring 143 goals and 220 assists in 93 regular season games played. The 25-year old finished 14th in league scoring last season registering 24 goals and 49 assists in 16 games with Rochester. He also scooped up 96 loose balls.
"Shawn Evans is a warrior" said Roughnecks general Manager Mike Board, "He is a floor general with great vision, he can score and he is a proven champion. Adding a winner to our roster is always important"
Evans bolsters an already lethal right side that also includes Scott Ranger, Curtis Dickson and Cory Conway.
The 'Necks picked up transition specialist Travis Cornwall from the Coquitlam Jr. Adanacs with their 8th overall selection. Cornwall was third in scoring in the BC Junior 'A' Lacrosse League this past summer putting up 42 goals and 64 assists. Board believes Cornwall will help keep the 'Necks transition game strong for many years to come.
"Travis Cornwall is a terrific athlete with a lot of heart and determination. He is a versatile player. He can play defense, transition and offense having scored more than 100 points in junior last season."
The 'Necks also traded a fifth round selection to Buffalo for a sixth round selection in 2012.
2011 NLL ENTRY DRAFT RESULTS
1. Philadelphia - Kevin Crowley - Stony Brook University
2. Rochester - Stephen Keogh - Syracuse University
3. Colorado - Adam Jones - Canisius College
4. Minnesota - Jordan MacIntosh - Rochester Institute of Technology
5. Rochester* - Johnny Powless - Six Nations, ON
6. Minnesota - Evan Kirk - Hobart College
7. Calgary - Travis Cornwall - Coquitlam, BC
8. Colorado - Dan Coates - Canisius College
9. Buffalo - Jeremy Thompson - Syracuse University
10. Rochester - Joel White - Syracuse University
11. Calgary - Greg Harnett - Orangeville, ON
12. Minnesota - Corbyn Tao - Robert Morris University
13. Colorado - Jordan McBride - Stony Brook University
14. Colorado - Jamie Lincoln - Hofstra University
15. Buffalo - Jeff Cornwall - Conquitlam, BC
16. Colorado - Tye Belanger - Peterborough, ON
17. Toronto - Jesse Gamble - Cornell University
18. Calgary - Frankie Scigliano - New Westminster, BC
19. Minnesota - Jay Card - Hofstra University
20. Edmonton - Jesse Fehr - Duke University
21. Washington - Mike Mallory - Delta, BC
22. Washington - Adam McGourty - Brampton, ON
23. Rochester - Kyle Andrews - Brampton, ON
24. Buffalo - Connor Daly - Burlington, ON
25. Buffalo - Jerome Thompson - Onondaga C.C.
26. Toronto - Pete Rennie - Peterborough, ON
27. Minnesota - David Earl - Notre Dame University
28. Philadelphia - Steve Fryer - Coquitlam, AB
29. Minnesota - Brian Karalunas - Villanova University
30. Colorado - Craig England - Orangeville, ON
31. Minnesota - Patrick Smith - Robert Morris
32. Rochester - Shane Cater - Six Nations, ON
33. Buffalo - Billy Bitter - University of North Carolina
34. Washington - Trevor Moore - Robert Morris
35. Toronto - Eric Bissell - Peterborough, ON
36. Rochester - Aaron Tackaberry - Calgary,AB
37. Philadelphia - Matt Stefurak - University of Delaware
38. Colorado - Joey Cupido - Six Nations, ON
39. Minnesota - Jeremy Boltus - Army
40. Rochester - Cal Kitson - Brampton, ON
41. Buffalo - Dwight Bero - Dartmouth University
42. Calgary - Barclay Hickey - Okotoks, AB
43. Washington - Brett Hickey - Windsor, ON
44. Toronto - Kyle Davis - Brampton, ON
45. Rochester - Kraig Maracle - Six Nations, ON
46. Calgary - Darren Kinnear - Edmonton, AB
47. Colorado - Jovan Miller - Syracuse University
48. Minnesota - Todd Baxter - Denver University
49. Rochester - Grant Catalino - University of Maryland
50. Toronto - Phil Rawn - Kitchener, ON
51. Buffalo** - Lloyd Chrysler - Tuscarora University
52. Washington - Justin Salt - New Westminster, BC
53. Toronto - Mark Burnett - Mars Hill College
* The Calgary Roughnecks traded the 5th overall selection in the 2011 Entry Draft to Rochester in exchange for a 1st Round selection in the 2012 Entry Draft, and Shawn Evans.
** The Calgary Roughnecks traded the 51st overall selection in the 2011 Entry Draft to Buffalo in exchange for their 6th Round selection in the 2012 Entry Draft.